“This is our first opportunity to look more closely at an AM2 DDR2 controller that might answer these questions about memory performance, since it is the first AM2 design to outperform Socket 939. Earlier AM2 spins could not match 939 memory performance, but they continued to improve. This is remarkable when you consider that new Intel processors pretty much have performed like final shipping processors some 5 months ahead of launch. AMD, on the other hand, has done most of their development work on the DDR2 memory controller in the last 3 months with just 6 weeks remaining before launch.”
Here are some more Processor articles from around the web:
- Core Duo on the desktop @ The Tech Report
- Intel Pentium D 805 @ Neoseeker
- Overclocking The Intel Pentium D Processor 805 @ Legit Reviews
- Dual Core on a Budget Article @ Techware Labs
- Interactive AMD Athlon 64 Socket 754 Pinmod guide @ OC Inside
AnandTech pits a brand new AM2 paired with DDR2 against a s939 with fast DDR RAM. Any guesses who wins which benchmarks? Head on over to find out.