“The main point of contention that has caused the majority of discussion, has involved the new zipped-contained XML file specification that forms the basis of Office 2007’s file format mechanism, along with the option to use the built-in automatic PDF/XPS exporting tool (this could face the axe in the final release, due to ongoing anti-trust concerns).
This is a radical change from Microsoft’s existing binary formats that have existed since the inception of the original Office, having had various changes, upgrades, and overhauls over the suite’s lifespan.”
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- 10 Free Plug-ins to Enhance Photoshop @ ExtremeTech
- iWeb 1.1.infinity iView @ Ars Technica
- ButtKicker Gamer @ ClubOC
- The Windows Vista Challenge for Microsoft @ OSWeekly.com
- Motorola Q Review @ WindowsAtoZ.com
- Apple: The Next Microsoft? @ OSWeekly.com
- Philips S900 Touchscreen LCD Cell Phone @ CoolTechZone.com
- NCSoft Austin Lays Off 25% of Staff @ Techgage
- Cooler Master iGreen Power Supply Giveaway @ Modders-Inc
Source: The Inquirer
The Inquirer starts off the week with an overview of the new Office 2007 Suite, Beta 2. More than just an aesthetic change, this Office incorporates several new ideas like ribbons. Drop by for this overview, and keep an eye open this week as they test each application individually.