“But opportunities are opening up stateside as well, a trend that could accelerate as gaming tournaments in the United States find TV broadcasters and in turn bring in mainstream sponsors. International video game tournaments such as the World Cyber Games, Electronic Sports World Cup and other events give individual gamers the chance to earn more than $2 million in a year.
Craig Levine, 23, owner and manager of Team 3D, said there are now more than a dozen U.S. players who make as much as $70,000 a year. This year, Team 3D will likely see more than $500,000 in revenues from winnings and sponsorships.”
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Region free Wii and loads of new screenshots as Nintendo shares fall @ HEXUS
- Neverwinter Nights premium module now available @ HEXUS
- Broken Sword : The Angel of Death unleashed @ HEXUS
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Gameplay Trailer @ Strategy Informer
- Heroes of Annihilated Empires Demo @ Strategy Informer
- Neverend Trailer @ Strategy Informer
- FIFA 07 Trailer @ Strategy Informer
- Sword of the Stars @ Strategy Informer
Gamin’ in the USA … for money
Source: Wired News
Wired News will give you some advice on how to get into professional gaming without moving to Asia. Tech companies like AMD, nVIDIA and Intel are all offering sponsorships for teams, and there is serious money to be won, if you are good enough.