“At the top of the product lineup we have the Phenom FX processors (codenamed Agena FX). These processors will be quad-core only and run at the highest clock speeds in AMD’s lineup, much like the current Athlon 64 FX. At the Quad FX introduction, AMD indicated that FX processors would be Socket-1207 only, simplifying its product lineup. Unfortunately, AMD has once again reversed its decision and Phenom FX processors will be available in both Socket-1207 and Socket-AM2 flavors.”
Here are some more Processor articles from around the web:
- AMD names upcoming desktop processors, Phenom to replace Athlon at high-end @ DigiTimes
- Why You Should AVOID Core 2 Duo Engineering Samples @ TechARP
- Intel Centrino Duo & Pro Technology Report @ TechARP
- Trouble-free E4400 Overclocking @ Legion Hardware
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU Review @ Rbmods
AMD has finally named Barcelona, as Phenom, breaking years of tradition by not ending the name in “on”. AnandTech has a close look at the layout of these new processors, and the 4 tiers that AMD will be launching. There are no benchmarks as of yet, but there is a look at AMD’s roadmap over the next few years, including Shanghai which is likely the core to support DDR3.