“As we get more and more computers in the homes, there is a need to be able to share data between them all. While you can solved it by simply sharing folders on each computer it quickly becomes complicated as each computer needs to be on all the time.
A simpler solution is to get a get a NAS — Network Attached Storage — that can be accessed independently of any computer. Today I am reviewing a NAS-solution from Vantec, the NexStar LX NAS Hard Drive enclosure.”
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- A.C. Ryan AluBoxTFX @ techPowerUp
- DataTec DS350 eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure Review @ PCSTATS
- Super Talent SSD: 16GB of Solid State Goodness @ AnandTech
- Kingston DataTraveler Secure 2GB Flash Drive Review @ ThinkComputers
- Vizo Milano3.5″ Portable HDD Enclosure & Multimedia Player @ DragonSteelMods
The Vantec NexStar LX is a simple NAS device, that thanks to it’s USB2 connector can also be used the same as a basic external HDD. Currently only IDE drives can be used, but SATA compatibility is being developed currently. With a large heatsink and fan, there are no worries about the drive overheating if you just stick it under your desk right by your router, and you can control the fan’s speed if it gets too loud. Bjorn3D found it to be very useful, and maybe you will as well.