“GMG Inc. has been providing a variety of drive enclosures since 2000. Galaxy Metal Gear Box provides several external drive enclosure designs with an emphasis on USB 2.0, Firewire (IEEE 1394), and SATA interface technologies. They are utilizing their enclosure expertise to expand their product portfolio and are now offering Digital Media gateway products.
We will be taking a look at the 5202 Galaxy series in the near future that offers internal drive support for either a standard 5.25″ Optical drive or a 3.5″ hard drive based on the SATA standard. A variety of interface options are available including Galaxy’s first eSATA implementation.”
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- Synology Diskstation DS107E Network Attached Storage Enclosure Review @ Tweaknews
- OCZ Rally 2 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive @ Futurelooks
- Way to the Top: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 HDD @ X-bit Labs
- QNAP TS-201 2 Bay NAS @ Hardware Canucks
- USB 2.0 to SATA / IDE Cable from USBFever @ DragonSteelMods
- CORSAIR Flash Voyager GT 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Memory Drive @ Futurelooks
- ICY DOCK MB559US-1SMB: eSATA Enclosure with Pizzazz @ AnandTech
The Galaxy Metal Gear Box 3500SASP is a no frills, dirt cheap external SATA/USB 2.0 enclosure. The drawbacks to that are obvious, materials and a manual that don’t measure up to their more expensive competition, and the lack of eSATA are the prominent ones. On the other hand, the performance is every bit as good as the more expensive docks, and the extra cash you save can be translated directly into a bigger HDD. AnandTech can tell you a lot more about this dock in their full review.