Introduction and Features
Not in the market for an 800W to 1,200W PSU? OK then, how about a solid 450W power supply with stable voltages, high efficiency, and virtually silent operation for well under $100?
Corsair Memory has an established reputation in the computer industry for producing some of the best PC memory available and with today’s new product launch they are expanding their PC power supply line to include the new 450W VX model. With a focus on performance and quality, Corsair’s new VX450W is designed to deliver high efficiency and quiet operation for mainstream users. Not everyone wants (and few need) a power supply that can deliver 800W to 1,200W of power. For many PC enthusiasts, a high-quality 450W PSU may be just what they are looking for.
Corsair’s new VX series of power supplies (VX450W and VX550W) are ideal for home theater PCs, Energy Star PCs, or any application with an emphasis on quality, efficiency, and quiet operation. The VX series power supplies feature a compact chassis, a single +12V output, and a very quiet 120mm cooling fan. And Corsair continues to back all of their power supplies with a 5-year warranty!
Corsair CMPSU-450VX PSU Key Features:
- 450 watts continuous power output (up to 50°C)
- Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 standard
- Single +12V output (up to 33A)
- Ultra quiet 120mm variable speed fan
- High-Efficiency (up to 85%) using double-forward switching circuitry
- Active PFC with Universal AC line input
- Industrial grade capacitors (105°C rated) for longer life
- Compact chassis size: 5.9” (W) x 3.4” (H) x 5.5” (L); 150mm x 86mm x 140mm
- Extra long, fully sleeved cables support full-tower enclosures
- MTBF: 100,000 Hours
- 5-Year warranty
The Corsair VX450W power supply arrived securely packed inside a colorfully printed black and green box. The power supply and cables are protected by plastic bubble-wrap inside a cloth bag.
In addition to the power supply the box also contains a power cord, mounting screws, wire ties, Corsair case badge, and a printed User’s Manual.
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise 2,000 watt DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
- DC Load Regulation
- DC Line Regulation
- DC Cross-load (unbalanced load)
- AC Ripple and Noise
- Power Factor
- Differential Temperature
The Corsair VX450W power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
- (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V ouputs)
- (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
- FLUKE 87-III True RMS digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.05%)
- Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
V-650F 60 MHz dual trace oscilloscope (Accuracy ±3%) Hitachi
- Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
- FLUKE 52-II digital thermometer (Accuracy ±0.3ºC/0.5ºF)
- Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)
- Custom Lian Li PC60 enclosure to simulate real-world operating conditions