You can also read an Q&A interview with two of the developers at Phoronix, to get a better idea of the teams successes and goals. There are quite a few questions that get answered, from the hardware that will be supported to licensing issues and more.
“Currently, GNU/Linux users with Nvidia graphics cards have two choices: Either use the proprietary drivers and violate their free software principles, or use the free nv driver and do without 3-D acceleration. The Nouveau project is working to overcome this dilemma by producing its own set of fully functional free Nvidia drivers. We talked to Stephane Marchesin and Ben Skeggs, two of the active developers in Nouveau, about the history of the project and the current status of its work.
Like several others working on video drivers, both Marchesin and Skeggs got their start in the field in the R300 project, a discontinued project whose members attempted to understand 3-D acceleration on a family of ATI Radeon cards. Skeggs worked largely on fragment shaders, a graphics function that calculates and renders effects pixel by pixel, but says that, at the time, “I really had no idea how all the various bits of a full graphics driver fit together.” By contrast, Marchesin was more deeply involved, reverse-engineering Hyperz, a processing technique that improved rendering speed, and tiling, a standard rendering technique, as well as porting 3-D functionality to the Itanium platform. “It was surely fun to see the Quake 3 frame rate go up as changes were made,” Marchesin recalls.”
Here are some more Graphics Card articles from around the web:
- New bridge chip to bring GeForce 8 series to AGP @ DigiTimes
- PowerColor Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MB review @ Elite Bastards
- ATI Radeon HD 2900XT vs. Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS/GTX @ Legion Hardware
- VisionTek Radeon X1300 PCI @ OCModShop
- Powercolor HD 2400 Pro 256MB PCI-E Video Card @ Pro-Clockers
- HIS HD 2900 XT 1GB GDDR4 in Crossfire @ TweakTown
- Visiontek ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro Videocard @ Rbmods
- Alienware DOOM-BOOM A Graphics Revolution @ GamePyre
- NVIDIA BIOS Editor (NiBiTor) v3.5 Released @ MVKTech
- ASUS 8800GTS Review @ Techconnect Magazine
- GIGABYTE 8500GT Turbo Force Ultra @ TweakTown
- WinFast PX8600 GTS TDH Extreme Video Card @ Modders-Inc