“Intel recently launched its high-end 3 series chipset X38 in the market, however with details of a chip revision, the X48 chipset, exposed, some motherboard makers are concerned that the X48 may hurt demand for motherboards based on the X38 chipset, according to sources at motherboard makers.
Intel recently delivered X48 A0 test samples to motherboard makers. The chipset is expected to launch between the end of 2007 and January 2008 after testing, while motherboards should start appear on the market in the first quarter of 2008, added the sources.
With the X48’s launch expected to come only three months later than that of the X38, it could lead to a short life cycle for the X38, causing a delay in market demand.
However, sources from one first-tier maker claimed that it sees no danger of the X48 diluting demand for X38-based motherboards, noting that it has simply revised its product mix to feature X48 at the top-end, premium section of its lineup. Makers most likely to be affected by the new chipset are second-tier makers who have fewer resources with which to prepare for a new product launch in the shortened time, and those who have a less well managed channel, according to the sources.”
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Bill Gates Denied Visa To Nigeria @ Slashdot
- Hardware thin-client turns XP Home, Linux into 10-user terminal server @ The Inquirer
- Windows Home Server in depth: the Ars Technica review @ Ars Technica
- Vista vs XP: Where is Windows Going @ PC Mechanic
- Computer Forensics: Linux Style! @ OSWeekly
- BulletProof-X: Windows Safe Mode Comes to Ubuntu @ MadPenguin
- Apple’s Wishy-Washy Stance on iPhone Hacking @ OSWeekly
- Transcribing in Linux: Easy As 1, 2, 3… @ OSWeekly
- TEXT GOES HERE
- Homeland Security Raids on Console Modding @ Bonafidereviews
- Brando USB Mini Fridge Review @ ThinkComputers
- Intel BoneTrail Release Imminent! @ TechARP
- Linux Basics: A FAQ @ PC Mechanic
- Nouveau Companion 28 @ Phoronix
- Sony’s Alpha Strike: Designing the A70 @ Hardware Zone
- Sony’s Mid-Range DSLR Launched – The Alpha A700 @ Hardware Zone
- Impressions of the Seattle World Cyber Games 2007 Grand Final @ Futurelooks
- Rbmods.com and Coolit giveaway! @ Rbmods
- Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest 2007 @ PC Apex
The X38 chipset may not be around for long, as it’s successor, the X48 will be available in the next 3-6 months. For the first mainstream DDR3 board, this is probably bad news, even if the retailers try to brand the X48 as the new high end. Catch up with this news at DigiTimes.