I have the extreme pleasure in posting an interview with a member who is a first class guy as well as a retired (no, no…not retarded ) Mod, Tenax. He really isn’t the monster he appears to be, he is actually a really nice guy who likes puppies, kittens and butterflies…..for dinner! Well, let him tell his story.
Hi there. Let me take a minute to introduce myself. I’m Uncle Bob, a Mod here at PC Perspective. We will be running a series of articles within the forum that will be called Mod Interviews. I ask revealing, embarrassing, stupid, probing questions of Mods as well as members and hopefully you get to laugh with us at ourselves and in the process get to know some of us better. Beware, not all these folks are as forthcoming as you may like, I do my best to uncover the truth, but haven’t always hit the mark!
1. I realize many of the mods here are in a witness protection program of some sort, but can you give us your real name?TENAX the TEEREX of course…dangerous to ask a dinosaur with big teeth a personal question..plus, I’m not an animal, not a person..witness protection doesn’t apply..growl….
2. Why did you join PCPer/AMDMB? my first homebuilt computer project and amd /cpuboard. the famed A7V. It’s amazing how many people still have those around. i remember “steamer” here sending me an Asus board out of pity i think. boy, he must have been a heavy smoker cause that puppy stank big time!
3. Which forums do you frequent the most? pron sites of courseactually, the dino roams all over the place here. ironically, i very rarely go to the trading post section anymore. a) I’m not buying much for computer parts these days b) i don’t have the patience anymore to wait for it in the mail. express deliveries, baby! I’m big into htpc these days and whatever is my newest mobo/processor combo at the time so i tend to frequent those areas most often.
4. Why do you keep coming back? old friends more than anything i think..and given all the help i was given here as a newb, i feel the need to give back to the site.
5. What was your first experience with a computer? hmmm..a tandy personal computer..4000 dollars on sale for 2400 at radio shack in the early 80s. 12 inch back screen, dot matrix printer and a humongous 10 mb (yep..10 mb) hard drive…i thought I’d died and gone to heaven until i realized transcribing the encyclopedia or rock onto computer, i could only get to “bowie” when i ran out of hard drive space. the crushing reality of the limitations of computers hit me hard.
6. Do you prefer to be called a “geek” or a “nerd”? well, i think geek, but i have to be called a nerd cause i read a lot of books. I’m a speedreader and read up to 14,000 words per minute so it’s an expensive hobby for me. in high school, i read up to 40 novels a week..so, definitely, nerd
7. What do you do like to do the most here at PC Perspective?joke around with people i know..and sometimes those i don’t. sometimes I’ll see someone who professes to be an expert on something and i feel like taking a poke…i don’t go near those who are really experts though..i just smile and nod
8. What do you like most about PC Perspective?
the level of support from other members, the friendships, no question. I’m pleased to see their are good Intel discussions these days as well as the familiar AMD favorites. i think the site has grown up into Ryan’s vision. (can i get a free motherboard now?)
9. OK, we all know this is coming…What do you like least about your PC Perspective?still fanboyism at times, but i don’t think it can be avoided. most people are very passionate..i play no favorites..i’ve done AMD and still am, but I’m also now running an intel..each has their own highs and lows.
10. How long have you been active in PC Perspective?
54 B.C. and still not extinct
11. Where are most active here? What is it you suppose that draws you to that particular area? I’m into the gigabyte ds3 so that is likely what i go to most often. it’s really whatever I’m currently running for rig…
12. What interests do you have outside of PC Perspective. Don’t be shy, if you don’t have a life outside of here, many readers would like to know! i play guitar (i do have gas with a tele, a gibson, an Epiphany and soon to be completed Japanese 85 strat that I’ve stripped down and am rebuilding) my kids..i have 4..work work work…i also like building and renovating to clear my brain.
13. OK, it’s hardware time! Let’s start with your most, or current favorite piece of hardware. Tell us about it.my gigabyte ds3 and 6400 dual core. overclocking like I’ve never experienced before and finally, the whisper quiet system I’ve been trying to put together since my first homebuilt computer.
14. Software? Hey, if you are a closet Linux user, now’s the time to come out. (If you are a closet Microsoft user, don’t be afraid, we can keep a secret!) i hate bill gates, but have to say microsoft…linux interests me but i don’t have the time or will to get to know if i want it…
15. OK, let’s get real personal. Witness Protection Program be damned…Can you tell us something about yourself you’d like us to know?i was a trading post mod here for years..twice i think..it burnt me out. i had to take a couple breaks from this site in general. i had it when a fellow who was a thief and ripped off many here went into the nuthouse after his partner (in crime) committed suicide..It was a passion to help people retrieve their goods, but it’s tough to see as many thieves get away with what they do…kind of like bad news everyday..you just get tired of it and can’t invest any personal emotion into it anymore.
16. What can you tell us about your job? Hey, if you do something illegal, now’s a good enough time as any to make a clean start! broadcaster for 25+ years now. vp/gm for 2 FM stations in Alberta.
17. Where do you live? (Be fearless, your secret is safe with us..) lethbridge alberta..sunshine capital of canada..and doesn’t get cold enough to have an outdoor skating rink (and no igloos)
18. What can you tell us about your family?? my second wife, a lovely lady…2 kids here, 2 in Calgary…my daughter in calgary is an amazing ballet dancer going into grade 10 next year. when you see those secret questions that ask “whose your favorite person”, without hesitation, it’s my daughter. my youngest son who’s turning 10, just took up guitar which thrills me.
19. Here’s a delicate one…How old are you and where did you grow up? 45 and grew up in northern Saskatchewan. city of 30,000 called prince Albert. also where i got into broadcasting.
20. Well, we are getting to the end of it, it’ll all be over soon, I promise. What you would like to say to our forum members, go ahead anything. Get it off your chest. We have all day here….[/quote] hmmm….dynamic tension here is good..like a good debate in a talk show, it’s interesting..where my level of tolerance ends is when people starting personally insulting each other. there’s a lot of smart people here who don’t need to sink to that level. if it must occur, keep it to the lightning round section where people know it can get ugly. I’ve seen too many good discussions ruined by personal insults..and don’t rip other people off! do unto others…..
and oh yeah..i want your Porsche