Final Thoughts and ConclusionsBFG Tech has invested a lot of time and effort into improving the quality of their PSU offering over the past year and for the most part they have succeeded. The new BFG ES-800 is a definite step up from their earlier power supply models. The overall efficiency is excellent, voltage regulation is very good, and the +12V outputs are very clean. The ES-800 packs 800W of DC power into a compact chassis that will fit inside most any enclosure and it operates quietly under normal operating conditions. The variable operating frequency technology appears to be working as the overall efficiency is very good across a wide range of loads. The ability of this PSU to startup and operate with zero load on the +3.3V and +5V outputs should be of interest to certain modders and users with Peltier (TEC) cooling devices. And let’s not forget BFG Tech’s life-time warranty and 24/7 tech support!
My main complaint with the BFG Tech ES-800 PSU is the relatively high AC ripple/noise on +3.3V and +5VSB outputs at high power levels. However, for most users who operate the ES-800 below 600W combined DC output, this won’t be an issue.
The MSRP for the BFG Tech ES-800 800W power supply is $229.99 USD and it is available directly from BFG Tech or your favorite BFG reseller.
• 800W continuous DC output (up to 40°)
• Excellent efficiency (variable frequency conversion technology)
• Very good voltage regulation
• Quiet, virtually silent at lower power levels
• +12V outputs can deliver up to 780W combined load
• Four PCI-E connectors (two 6-pin and two 8-pin)
• No load required on +3.3V and +5V outputs
• Compact chassis (only 165mm deep)
• Active PFC with universal AC input
• Cables sleeved all the way to the end connector
• Black-chrome look finish
• Life-time warranty and 24/7 Tech support
• Elevated AC ripple/noise on +3.3V and +5VSB outputs at high power
• Cables may be a little short (19” long) for use in larger cases
BFG Tech ES-800 800W Power Supply
I would like to thank our friends at BFG Tech for sending us the ES-800 PSU to review. Be sure to use our price checking engine to find the best price on any of BFG Tech’s great products or anything else you may want to buy!
And if you have any questions or comments about the article, or would like to see what others have to say about the BFG ES-800 PSU, just click into our Case, Cooling and Power Supply forum to join in the discussion!