SUNNYVALE, Calif. — May 28, 2009 –AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced that users of its computing platforms can accelerate new video editing and processing software from a range of developers, designed to vastly reduce the time required to perform increasingly popular, but highly compute intensive tasks like converting a large, high-definition file into something suitable for viewing on a portable media player.
AMD is able to accelerate this process by taking advantage of ATI Stream technology, a set of advanced hardware and software technologies that enable AMD GPUs to work in concert with its CPUs to accelerate applications beyond just graphics. As one example, comparative benchmark data of the video transcoding acceleration possible via ATI Stream technology shows impressive results.
- ATI Stream-enabled software titles for video editing and processing continue to be released by a growing list of independent software vendors (ISVs):
- CyberLink’s MediaShow Espresso video converter application leverages AMD’s unique Unified Video Decoder (UVD) through its ATI Stream technology to quickly convert digital video files for use on portable devices like Apple iPhone and Sony PSP. CyberLink has also optimized its award-winning video editing software PowerDirector 7 to take advantage of ATI Stream. For more information or to purchase PowerDirector 7 or MediaShow Espresso, please click here.
- ArcSoft will soon deliver a SimHD ATI Stream version to consumers, a plug-in to their video playback software ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre. With ATI Stream technology, SimHD is able to take advantage of the GPU power, bringing near high definition viewing experience to users when watching standard definition content.” For more information, please click here.
- AMD’s latest graphics driver, Catalyst 9.5 includes a new, free downloadable update of AMD’s own ATI Video Converter utility that gives ATI graphics card users the ability to easily accelerate video transcoding tasks.
- As the only company in the world capable of offering x86 CPUs and consumer and professional GPUs, AMD is focusing on optimized platform technologies, like “Dragon” desktop platform technology, which balance performance between AMD CPUs and GPUs with ATI Stream technology to deliver outstanding value.
- ATI Video Converter “How To” video
- Details on ATI Stream supported products
- ATI Stream technology video application benchmarks