“AMD is looking a lot more competitive in 2010 than I expected just a few months ago. Intel finally unveiled Clarkdale and thanks to the high cost of Core i5 ownership AMD hasn’t really been threatened. The Core i3 530 is the biggest threat, but it only competes with one member of AMD’s lineup at $113.
Thanks to continued improvements in Global Foundries’ 45nm process, AMD is delivering slight clock bumps for its dual, triple and quad-core processors while dropping prices of others. This is what AMD is launching today…”
Here are some more Processor articles from around the web:
- Testing AMD’s Five New CPUs @ ExtremeTech
- AMD Athlon II X3 440 & X4 635 @ Bjorn3D
- AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE & Athlon II X4 635 & X3 440 Processors Reviewed @ EXTREME Overclocking
- AMD Athlon II X2 255, X3 440, X4 635, Phenom II X2 555, and X4 910e Review @ OCC
- AMD Athlon II X3 440, X4 635, and Phenom II X4 910e @ PureOverclock
- AMD Phenom II X4 910e 2.6GHz 65W TDP Processor Review @ Legit Reviews
- AMD Phenom II X2 555 and Athlon II X4 635 Performance @ HotHardware
- Mobile CPU Comparison Guide Rev. 5.4 @ TechARP
- Desktop CPU Comparison Guide Rev. 7.9 @ TechARP
- Intel’s Clarkdale Part IV @ LostCircuits
- The Intel Core i3 530 Review – Great for Overclockers & Gamers @ AnandTech
- Intel Core i5-750 review @ APH Networks
- Intel Core i5 661 3.33 GHz @ techPowerUp
- 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 @ Overclockers.com
It’s quintuplets for AMD; cheap ones!
Today we are seeing the first new CPUs from AMD for 2010, ranging from the $169 Phenom II X4 910e @ 2.6GHz to the $74 AMD Athlon II X2 255 @ 3.1GHz. Only the Phenom IIs sport L3 cache, one of the reasons that the Athlon II is less expensive is that lack, the other being the 95W TDP on all but the dual core model. AnandTech also speculates on what we know of the 6 core models we should see rather soon, whose TDP shoots up to 125W! The tests show that these new CPUs really don’t bring anything new in, but considering 3 of the 5 processors are under $100 there is still a reason to be excited.