Why waste time waiting for a random user to infect your server with malware when Dell will ship you a board that comes pre-infected. The PowerEdge R410 Rack server comes with spyware built into its system management software which is embedded on the hardware. Security experts have been warning about this sort of hardware infection, though it is not clear if the spyware is truly embedded in hardware. According to The Register, a small number of boards were affected and they have been doing a good job of tracking down those customers that might have been infected, though you might want to get in touch with Dell yourself if you have concerns.
"Dell is warning customers that there is malware on some of its server motherboards.
The PowerEdge R410 Rack server has spyware within its embedded systems management software.
The direct seller is sending customers letters warning of the danger and also telephoning those affected."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- ARM and TSMC ink long-term strategic deal @ DigiTimes
- Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Beta @ TechReviewSource
- The Pirate Party ISP is born @ The Inquirer
- The Bloating Of A (Razer) Mamba @ TechARP
- Back to School 2010 Tech Guide @ TechReviewSource
- Microsoft Needs to Get the Windows Tablet Right, or Call it Quits @ Digital Trends
- Griffin Simplifi Review @ OverclockersHQ
- Windows Phone 7 Preview @ Digital Trends