This new line features the same Toshiba HG2 SSD present in their line of SSDNow V+ Gen2 SSD’s, but mounted in a very solid feeling external enclosure. Interface duties are performed by a Genesys Logic SATA to USB 3.0 bridge. We have one in the lab and will be posting our review later on, but for now I leave you with a shot of its internals:
Available capacities will be 64, 128, and 256GB. The 128GB version should be available within a couple of weeks at a starting list price of $280.
Fountain Valley, CA — November 22, 2010 — Kingston Digital, Inc., the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the HyperX® MAX 3.0 External USB 3.0 Drive. Shipping in December, the SuperSpeed USB certified HyperX MAX 3.0 drive is a fast and durable external USB 3.0 storage drive. SuperSpeed USB is the specification delivering USB 3.0 transfer speeds up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0.
Kingston’s HyperX MAX 3.0 has a read speed of up to 195MB/sec., and a write speed of up to 160MB/sec., when paired with a USB 3.0 compatible device. It is also fully compatible with USB 2.0 devices, as the speed defaults back to USB 2.0 capability. During internal testing, a 10GB movie file was transferred in only 1 minute, 12 seconds to the HyperX MAX 3.0 from a USB 3.0 system*. The transfer time increased to 5 minutes, 52 seconds using a USB 2.0 port with the same test bed.
HyperX MAX 3.0 is an excellent drive solution for any prosumer, computer enthusiast or professional requiring extremely fast file transfer to their PC with portability requirements. Moving or backing up HD video, RAW images or other large project files are examples that can take advantage of the extremely high-speed data transfers of the USB 3.0 interface.
“The HyperX MAX 3.0 External USB 3.0 Drive follows the tradition of Kingston’s HyperX enthusiast DRAM family providing users with premium quality and extreme performance,” said Andrew Ewing, USB product manager, Kingston®. “In addition to portability and speed, users will be pleased with the durability of this drive. Its Flash memory-based architecture is designed for the rigors of mobile use.”
HyperX MAX 3.0 is available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB capacities and is sold through Kingston’s authorized channel of distributors, resellers, e-tailers and retailers. It comes with a three-year warranty and is backed by Kingston’s legendary 24/7 service and support.
Kingston HyperX MAX 3.0 Features and Specifications:
- Performance — USB-IF SuperSpeed-Certified
- Standardized — complies with USB 3.0 specification standards, compatible with USB 2.0
- Sequential Speed — Read — up to 195MB/sec., Write — up to 160MB/sec
- Shock-resistant — built with Flash components so no moving parts
- Portable — Aluminum design is sleek, stylish and rugged
- Silent — runs silently with no moving parts
- Easy — plug & play with no driver required; utilizes USB bus power with no additional bus power required
- Guaranteed — three-year warranty
- Capacities** — 64GB, 128GB and 256GB
- Dimensions — 2.89″ x 4.67″ x 0.47″ (73.49mm x 118.60mm x 12.00mm)
- Vibration Operating — 20G Peak, 10-2000Hz, (20min/Axis) x 3 Axis
- Vibration Non-operating — 20G Peak, 10-2000Hz, (12 Cycle/Axis) x 3 Axis, x 20min.
- Operating Shock — 1500G
- Operating Temperature — 0° to 60°C / 32° to 140°F
- Storage Temperature — -20° to 85°C / -4° to 185°F
- Power Consumption — 4.5W
- Dual LED — blue for USB 3.0, green for USB 2.0