When The Tech Report were asked to review the new Dell R810 2U server they jumped at the chance. Inside lies dual octocore Xeon X7560s, 128GB of DDR3 (of a maximum 500GB), four SAS 6Gbps drives (which they swapped for Vertex EX SSDs) and a pair of 1100W PSUs. It is impressive to see all that shoved into a 2U rack but Dell went further with internal SD card readers for easy HyperVisor use, external LCDs to display realtime hardware and software data and a casing much more attractive that you usually see in a server room. The performance compared to a dual X5670 system varied so you should probably read the review before you go spending $23,000 on the server.
"Intel’s eight-core Nehalem-EX processor and Dell’s R810 chassis combine to form a new class of 2P server, with huge memory capacity at a lower price point."
Here are some more Systems articles from around the web:
- TweakTown Commander PC Benchmarked
- ASRock E350M1 AMD Fusion APU Motherboard @ Pro-Clockers
- Low Carbon PC WIND Mini Computer @ Computing on Demand
- MSI E350IA-E45 @ iXBT Labs
- Gigabyte E350N-USB3 Review @ OCC
- Dell XPS x8300-5215NBK Review @ TechReviewSource
- Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 Mini ITX Motherboard/ CPU Combo Review @ OCIA
- How to build your own computer: Ask Ars DIY Series, Part I