OWC has been around for a while, but since they were making drives for Apple they were not a common name for enthusiasts. They’ve since broken free and are selling their SSD line to any and all. The first generation was good, not outstanding but not a the back of the pack performance wise. Their new Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G 240GB is poised to take the lead though, as Legit Reviews compared it to the outstanding OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240 GB SSD. In this apples to apples review we see the OWC hit reads of 559MB/s and writes of 527MB/s and it took top spot in quite a few benchmarks.
"The SandForce SF-2200 controller does all the heavy lifting, pushing out listed reads of 559MB/s and writes of 527MB/s. This is almost exactly what we saw on the benchmarks in terms of max performance so OWC was true to their specifications. Fresh off of testing the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240 GB drive we felt others would have a tough time topping its performance but OWC came through with a drive that eked out better scores more often than not. OWC is going to garner a lot of attention if they keep putting out products like the 240 GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6g SSD as we found it to be the best overall performing SATA III drive we have tested to date…"
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS & Patriot Wildfire SSDs @ AnandTech
- OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD Review @ HardwareHeaven
- Intel SSD 320 Series 160 GB Review @ Hardware Secrets
- OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SATA 6Gbit/s SSD Review @ Techgage
- OCZ Vertex 3 240GB Review @ OCC
- OCZ Agility 3 SSD Tests @ Benchmark Reviews
- Hard Drive Vs SSD – The space inbetween Review @ eTeknix
- Hard Disk Drive Performance Comparison Guide @ TechARP
- QNAP TS-412 Turbo NAS @ Techspot
- Samsung M2 portable 3.0 External Hard Drive @ Metku.net
- Synology DiskStation DS1511+ @ Legion Hardware