[H]ard|OCP heard quite a bit about the new generation of consoles via the grape vine at E3. The big winner is AMD, who will be providing the graphical power for all three of the next generation of major consoles as well as being in the running for putting a Bulldozer APU inside Sony’s next game system. IBM is the other competitor for providing Nintendo’s core with an updated Cell processor, which also will be running in the next generation XBox. Nintendo is also going with IBM, though they are looking at a custom built 45nm CPU. This is very good news for AMD, with a guaranteed presence in every console and a possible hardware monopoly with Sony.
"Guys talk, you hear things. And at this year’s E3 HardOCP picked up a lot of information about the upcoming hardware in the next generation consoles. It will be interesting to see if our rumor mill churns up truth or fiction. We wanted to get this out the week after E3, but we had some I’s to dot and some T’s to cross."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Flashy Intel flash specs leak @ The Register
- Major ISPs agree to "six strikes" copyright enforcement plan @ Ars Technica
- Facebook adds Skype video chat @ The Inquirer
- Intel’s Gallium3D Driver After Google’s Work @ Phoronix
- Hackers booby-trap an Android racing game with malware @ The Inquirer
- Hobby Micro Distilling @ Make:Blog
- Revising Cinema for the Blu-ray age – Where to draw the line? @ Tweaktown
- Weekly Giveaway #5: Hearts Of Iron III Game Bundle @ eTeknix
- July Bjorn3D Folding @ Home Contest, Your Chance to Win a Gigabyte A75M-D2H
- Real World Labs And IN WIN Joint Contest