Could it be? Is there an actual explanation as to why every single Steam game you ever bought just has to install DirectX, even though you just installed it for that last game you bought and the one before that and the one before …
Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN has the explanation as to what is going on, though it is up to you to decide if it is reasonable or not. Gone are the days of one DX fits all games, instead each of the currently used versions of DX, as in DX9, DX10 and DX11 depending on your software and hardware have many sub-versions. In DX9’s case, there are over 40 versions of a D3D helper library called D3DX and that number grows in DX10 and DX11 and that is before you toss in 32bit versus 64bit OS versions.
Doesn’t it make you happier to know the reason why you are stuck watching that stupid progress bar slowly grow instead of being able to play the game you just bought?
"Oh God, not again – can’t I just play the damned thing? WHY? [Stomp, stomp, stomp."] This is a sound surely as familiar to the residents of the Brunswick area of Brighton as are the constant squawks of seagulls fighting over the contents of their recycling boxes. This is a sound I make, or at least variations upon it, every single time I first run a game I have downloaded via Steam. This time, I always think. This time it won’t ask me to install DirectX again first. Surely the 1023rd time’s the charm. That dream will likely never come to pass. However, at least we now know why – Valve have explained this particularly modern annoyance."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Hard Reset: PC exclusive, single-player only, new engine, OMG @ Ars Technica
- Preview of id Software’s Rage @ Slashdot
- Diablo 3 will let you buy and sell items for real-world cash @ Ars Technica
- Preorder Battlefield 3 with Origin, get early beta access @ Ars Technica
- Limbo @ HEXUS
- Borderlands 2 Is Really Real, Due 2012 @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Titanic Quest: Crate Speak About Grim Dawn @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Dead Island – PC, Xbox 360, PS3 @ HEXUS
- Call of Juarez: The Cartel PlayStation 3 @ Tweaktown