Last week AMD took a scythe to their staff, not so much a separation of the chaff from the wheat and more of a slash and burn approach. As one press report put it "AMD has announced a restructuring plan and implementation of operational efficiency initiatives designed to strengthen the company’s competitive positioning." As you can tell, the PR team is already suffering from regressive corporate double speak. Some names which have represented the face of AMD to hardware sites, such as Patrick Moorhead and Carrell Killebrew are gone from AMD, though not from social media nor the industry. The Tech Report looks at just how AMD handled this announcement to the industry and reveiw sites and details on what exactly happened.
"Following up on AMD’s mass layoff announcement, TR’s Scott Wasson reveals that the chipmaker has laid off virtually its entire public relations team, and he speculates about where the company is now heading."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Lion on a Hackintosh @ The Tech Report
- DIY spot welder can join anything together, even copper @ Hack a Day
- Weekend Project: Ensure a Hassle-Free Linux Upgrade @ Linux
- Mainstream desktop CPUs future evolution [Haswell, New Sockets, Enhancements…] @ VR-Zone
- Ubuntu 12.04 Developer Summit Summary @ Phoronix
- The 48GB DDR3 Weekend! @ ThinkComputers
- SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2012 Now Available on NGOHQ
- Weekly Giveaway #15: G.Skill 4GB DDR3 2133MHz Memory Kit @ eTeknix
- Real World Labs And Patriot Memory Joint Contest