American Megatrends Inc., aka AMI, pretty much rules the world of the PC BIOS after virtually booting Phoenix and Award from the market. A recent post on DigiTimes shows that Phoenix is planning on making a splash with the arrival of Windows 8. It is not just the PC market that Phoenix intends to rise again in; they are working with ARM to develop a BIOS for Windows on ARM as well as talking with Qualcomm and Texas Instruments about designing BIOS for their devices. Could it be that they will indeed fire up a new age of competition in the BIOS market?
"BIOS player Phoenix Technologies has recently announced its latest Phoenix SCT 2.2 solution to assist its PC partners to develop systems based on Windows 8, according to the company.
Currently, American Megatrends (AMI) is dominating in the desktop BIOS market, with Insyde Software and Phoenix accounting for 55% and 45% of the notebook BIOS market, respectively.
President of Phoenix Greater China, Kelly Wu pointed out that the company’s new solution has more than 60 new functions to support Windows 8 and is optimized for system performance, security, connectivity, mobility and user experience."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Battlefield 3 Patch Coming Tuesday @ [H]ard|OCP
- Pick up that can, [Jeri] @ Hack a Day
- Acer likely to launch ultrabooks priced from US$699-799 in 2012, say source @ DigiTimes
- The TR Podcast 101: Scott really hates the Kindle Fire
- DragonEgg 3.0 Puts GCC & LLVM In One Bed @ Phoronix
- Annual OCC Christmas Contest