It seems the Gabe Newell doesn’t like hearing that you can’t game on Linux and is planning on releasing a Linux version of both Steam and the Source Engine. The implementation is planned to be natively supported by Linux with no need for Wine, Phoronix has seen it running with an install of Ubuntu and a Catalyst driver for the Radeon that was providing graphics. The Linux community has been waiting a long time for this day and now that Gabe is focusing his attention on this project there is hopes that it will soon come to fruition. Phoronix could not be happier.
"For those that have doubted the exclusive Phoronix claims for quite a while now that the Steam client and Source Engine are in fact being ported to Linux, the doubts can be nearly laid to rest. Even I began to wonder how long it would take before the clients for their popular games would be publicly released under Linux. However, after confirming the information perhaps a bit too soon, their level of Linux interest is much more clear after spending a day at their offices. A meeting topped off the day with Gabe Newell regarding Linux where he sounded more like a Linux saint than an ex-Microsoft employee. Valve does have some great plans for Linux beyond just shipping the client versions of Steam and their popular games on the Source Engine."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Play Diablo III for free this weekend @ HEXUS
- Tribes: Ascend GPU & CPU Performance Test @ TechSpot
- Avernum: Escape from the Pit @ Kitguru
- DiRT Showdown Preview (PC) @ HardwareHeaven
- Waveform PC Review @ eTeknix
- New Call of Duty game to be revealed next week? @ HEXUS
- Stalker 2 Dead (Again), But Now There’s Survarium @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Crytek On Fusing Crysis 1, Crysis 2, And District 9 @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Pandora’s Tower (Nintendo Wii) Game Review @ HardwareHeaven
- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D Nintendo 3DS @ Tweaktown
Uhhh can we say reverse
Uhhh can we say reverse title? I don’t think steam is an Ubuntu distributor 😉
got your attention, didn’t
got your attention, didn’t it?
lol, yeah for a second I
lol, yeah for a second I though I would be able to download linux ISO and/or WUBI installers from Steam 😉
But yeah sweet 😀
yea I read the title and
yea I read the title and thought ummm hmmmm, library, ubuntu, BAM opens up in a VM.
Steam for Ubuntu would be
Steam for Ubuntu would be awesome!