Final Thoughts and Conclusions
The most notable upgrades to the Corsair Professional Series HX850 power supply are increased efficiency (80 Plus Gold versus 80 Plus Silver) and the ability to run in silent, fanless mode when the load is ≤20%. The HX850 PSU delivers very good efficiency with good voltage regulation and clean DC outputs on the all-important primary rails. The HX850 is dead-silent when outputting less than 20% load and under normal operating conditions the power supply is still very quiet. The HX850 comes with a good assortment of modular cables that can support the latest CPUs and multiple, high-end video cards along with active PFC, universal AC input and a 7-year warranty. My only minor complaint is with the AC ripple on the +5VSB output under heavy load. Overall, the Corsair HX850 appears to be an excellent power supply!
The new Corsair Professional Series HX850 power supply is being released with a MSRP of $199.99 USD but I wouldn't be surprised to see the price come down a little in the near future.
• Up to 850W DC output, rated at 50°C
• Very good efficiency (80 Plus Gold certified)
• Very good voltage regulation; particularly on the three main outputs
• Clean DC outputs with low AC ripple (on the three main outputs)
• Silent at low power levels (<20% load)
• Quiet during normal operation (>20% load)
• Single +12V output up to 62A
• Six PCI-E connectors for multiple graphic card support
• Two EPS connectors for dual CPU support
• Good combination of fixed and modular cables
• Universal AC input with Active PFC
• 7-Year warranty
• Competitively priced
• AC ripple a little higher than we would like to see on +5VSB
Corsair Professional Series HX850 Power Supply
Our thanks to Corsair for sending one of their new Professional Series HX850 power supplies to us to review; thank you.