PC Perspective Podcast #227 – 11/15/2012
Join us this week as we talk about a Golden Z77 Motherboard from ECS, High Powered WiFi from Amped Wireless, Supercomputing GPUs and more!
You can subscribe to us through iTunes and you can still access it directly through the RSS page HERE.
The URL for the podcast is: https://pcper.com/podcast – Share with your friends!
- iTunes – Subscribe to the podcast directly through the iTunes Store
- RSS – Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
- MP3 – Direct download link to the MP3 file
Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath, and Allyn Malventano
This Podcast is brought to you by MSI!
Program length: 1:07:04
Podcast topics of discussion:
- Join us for the Hitman: Absolution Game Stream
- Week in Reviews:
- 0:18:00 This Podcast is brought to you by MSI!
News items of interest:
- 0:19:00 A renaissance of game types that have been sadly missing
- 0:24:00 You missed our live Medal of Honor Game Stream – loser!
- 0:26:12 NVIDIA launches Tesla K20X Card, Powers Titan Supercomputer
- 0:30:15 AMD Launches Dual Tahiti FirePro S10000
- 0:38:00 Some guy leaves Microsoft – is the Start Menu on its way back??
- 0:41:40 AMD is apparently not for sale
- 0:46:05 ECS joins the Thunderbolt family with a new Z77 motherboard
0:54:00 Hardware / Software Pick of the Week
- Ryan: Corsair Hydro Series H60 for $75
- Jeremy: Form over function or vice versa?
- Josh: A foundation worth donating to
- Allyn: ArmorSuit Military Shields
- 0:54:00 Hardware / Software Pick of the Week
- 1-888-38-PCPER or firstname.lastname@example.org
- http://twitter.com/ryanshrout and http://twitter.com/pcper
Be sure to subscribe to the PC Perspective YouTube channel!!
To find the transmit power of
To find the transmit power of your router, look for the FCC ID of the router, you can use that info to look up the transmit power. (600mw is nothing special since many routers are within that range now. (most commonly 350-500mw
They also provide graphs of the noise and for most wifi radios, they don’t start pushign noise that degrades the signal quality until you start getting close to around 800mw
To find the highest stable transmit power, you need to look at the amplifiers of the wifi radio and then look for the datasheet which will give you an idea of what the max transmit power it was designed to handle.
For many smartphones, your transmit power will be around 25-50mw. (you can check the designed transmit power by looking at the chip model and finding a data sheet. (though that ma not be the true power you get as many companies will run the wifi radios at a lower transmit power to save battery.)
For my WNDR3700 was able almost double my performance at a long range by opening it up, then drilling some 0.25 inch holes and adding a few U.fl to RP-sma connectors then installing external 5dbi antennas. (and I didn’t even boost the transmit power)
I feel that the biggest thing that is wrong with newer routers, is the use of internal PCB antennas.
Hey man, thanks for the
Hey man, thanks for the comment!!
FirePro S10000 is “only” a
FirePro S10000 is “only” a two 8 pins power connectors card.
Haha, that ‘ADS’ man, what
Haha, that ‘ADS’ man, what the hell I don’t even…
I forgot to ask after the
I forgot to ask after the Podcast, is PCPer still working on a possible write up on a “hackntosh” setup?
Great podcast as always,
Great podcast as always, especially when tuning in live , its lot of fun and informative.
The part that Ryan twitted out was freaking hilarious, I had tears coming out , It was epic!
Is the ArmorSuit Military
Is the ArmorSuit Military Shield the same as the Zag Protector Shield (advertised as Military Grade)?
If so, long-term, it collects grim/lint around seams and edges and looks disgusting. If the area is humid (air/palm of hand), it slowly slips/slide, then becomes gummy. Then, good luck cleaning it and re-applying it.
Short-term, it’s great (2-4 months), but long-term, it’s not worth it.
I’d prefer to try the nail polish liquid paint product (don’t remember the real product name). Or other variants.
Even Clippy the paperclip
Even Clippy the paperclip finds the windows 8 metro/modern UI irritating! Clippy, ” sometmes the Metro/modern UI just pops up for no particular reason like now when I am trying to use the desktop!”
Fan of Dungeon Keeper, Evil
Fan of Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius or Overlord? – support War for the Overworld http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subterraneangames/war-for-the-overworld