Final Thoughts and Conclusions
The SilverStone ST45SF-G is a good SFX form factor power supply. It has many of the features that you would expect from larger ATX enthusiast PSUs like a painted chassis and modular, sleeved cables. The power supply delivered very good voltage regulation with good efficiency and maintained relatively clean outputs across a wide range of loads. The ST45SF-G also comes with both EPS12V and PCI-E connectors, which typically aren't found on a small SFX form factor PSU. If you are in the market for a solid 450W PSU for a SFF build, the new SilverStone ST45SF-G deserves a very close look!
Noted differences of the new ST45SF-Gold compared to the original ST45SF-Bronze:
• Meets 80Plus Gold efficiency criteria
• Tighter voltage regulation (±3% on primary outputs)
• All modular cables
• Operating temperature de-rated from 50°C to 40°C
• No master power on-off switch
The SilverStone ST45SF-G power supply is currently available and selling for $96.99 USD (newegg.com October 2012).
• SFX form factor with ATX adapter bracket
• 450W continuous DC output
• 37A on +12V rail with dual PCI-E connectors
• 8-pin (4+4) EPS12V connector
• Very good voltage regulation (±3% on primary outputs)
• Very good efficiency (80-Plus Gold certified)
• High quality components (Japanese capacitors)
• Active PFC with universal AC input
• Cables may be short if used in a standard ATX chassis (see edit below***)
• Relatively expensive compared to ATX equivalents
SilverStone ST45SF-G PSU
I would like to thank our friends at SilverStone for sending us the ST45SF-G PSU to review – thanks!
*** Edit 11-24-2012 ***
SilverStone just informed me they have a full line of full-size, modular power supply cables that can be purchased separately if you find one or more of the ST45SF-G cables are too short for your needs or you just want to dress up the look of your system. There are eight different cables available in the PP06 Series and they are designed to be compatible with all SilverStone modular PSUs released after 2009. "The PP06 modular PSU cables were created for users who wish to utilize a compatible SilverStone modular PSU and to improve the appearance inside their case. All PP06 cables come with full length connectors and every wire is individually sleeved in black. This is a must for those who are looking to connect various components and who want a cleaner look inside their case. SilverStone is committed to releasing modular PSUs with the same connectors so the PP06 is a great investment and can be used for future SilverStone PSU upgrades."
PP06B-3SATA80M (3 x SATA & 1 X Slimline SATA connectors)
PP06B-2PCIE70 (1 x PCI-E 8pin (6+2) & 1 x PCI-E 8pin (6+2) connectors)
*** End Edit ***