Introduction and Features
EVGA adds to their SuperNOVA line with the intro of the new NEX750G and 650G PSUs.
EVGA was founded in 1999 with headquarters in Brea, California. They currently specialize in producing NVIDIA based graphics adapters and Intel based motherboards and they are continuing to expand their product line to include enthusiast grade power supplies, starting with the NEX1500 last year and now adding the SuperNOVA NEX750G and NEX650G models.
Back in September 2012 we reviewed the SuperNOVA NEX1500 digital power supply that delivered 1500 watts of power and came bundled with EVGA’s SuperNOVA software that allows monitoring all of the power supply’s functions in real-time from your desktop. We liked the NEX1500, especially the SuperNOVA monitoring software, so when EVGA asked us to review the new SuperNOVA NEX750G Gold, we said yes and assumed it would incorporate similar features to the flagship SuperNOVA NEX1500. While the NEX1500 PSU was targeted towards an elite few with deep pockets, the new NEX750G and NEX650G models are aimed at more mainstream, cost-conscious consumers. And to our disappointment, neither of the new power supplies feature digital control, so they can't be used with EVGA's SuperNOVA monitoring software.
Here is what EVGA has to say about the new SuperNOVA NEX 750G Gold PSU: “The EVGA NEX750G Gold PSU is a premium quality power supply intended to meet the needs of the most demanding enthusiasts systems. Designed with enthusiast needs in mind the NEX series is the best choice to power next generation enthusiast computers. Combining 750W of continuous power with exceptional performance, stunning efficiency, and cutting-edge design and features, the NEX750G Gold is what you need to take your system to the next level.
You can also count on EVGA to provide the utmost reliability and performance, with 100% Japanese capacitors and a durable dual-ball bearing fan. The NEX750G Gold is designed from start to finish to be the best choice for today's most demanding enthusiast computers. Bring you’re a-game with the NEX750G Gold power supply!"
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G Gold PSU Key Features:
• 5-Year Warranty and unparalleled EVGA Customer Support
• 80PLUS Gold certified, with up to 90% efficiency under typical loads
• Highest quality Japanese brand capacitors ensure long-term reliability
• Fully modular to reduce clutter and improve airflow
• Quiet dual-ball bearing fan for near-silent operation
• High amperage multi-rail design for maximum power and efficiency
• Universal AC input (100-240V) with Active PFC
• Heavy-duty Protections: OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, SCP and OTP
• Dimensions: 150mm (W) x 86mm (H) x 200mm (L)
• MSRP $139.99 USD
Establishing an accurate load is critical to testing and evaluating a PC power supply. PCPerspective’s power supply test bench can place a precise DC load on the PSU under test. Each power supply is tested under controlled, real-world conditions up to its maximum rated load (at 40ºC), using both 115 VAC and 240 VAC line voltage. Our current suite of tests includes:
• DC Load Regulation
• AC Ripple and Noise
• Differential Temperature
The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G Gold power supply was evaluated on both features and performance. A full range of equipment was used to test the power supply under controlled load conditions.
• (2) CSI3710A Programmable DC load (+3.3V and +5V outputs)
• (4) CSI3711A Programmable DC load (+12V1, +12V2, +12V3, and +12V4)
• (2) 200W Precision resistor load bank (+12V5 and +12V6)
• Switchable precision resistor load bank (-12V and +5VSB)
• Agilent 34401A digital multimeter (Accuracy ±0.0035% vDC)
• Extech 380803 Power Analyzer (Accuracy ±0.5% of full scale)
• DS1M12 "StingRay" digital oscilloscope (20M S/s with 12 Bit ADC)
• Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, 1.4 KVA, 0-140 VAC
• Extech Model 407738 digital sound level meter (Accuracy ±1.5 dB)