Final Thoughts and Conclusions
The new Rosewill Tachyon-1000 proved to be a good performer and offers solid features at a competitive price in the 1000W category. Voltage regulation, AC ripple suppression, and build quality were all very good. Our test unit struggled a little in meeting the 80Plus Platinum efficiency criteria but as we explained earlier this is most likely due to the difference between our real-world, elevated operating temperatures and the 80Plus organizations “room temperature” standard. The Tachyon-1000 features both fixed and modular cables which will appeal to some users and disappoint those looking for 100% modular.
The Tachyon-1000 power supply is currently selling for $189.99 USD (Newegg.com, February 2013).
• 1000W continuous output @50°C
• Good voltage regulation
• Very good AC ripple suppression
• Silent, fanless operation at lower power levels (<20%)
• High efficiency (80Plus Platinum certified)
• Single +12V output can deliver up to 83A/996W
• Six PCI-E connectors (6+2 pin) and two 4+4 pin/8-pin 12V ATX/EPS
• Competitive pricing
• 5-Year warranty
• Active PFC with universal AC input
• Struggled to meet 80Plus Platinum criteria while operating at elevated temperatures
• Cooling fan could be higher quality for a premium PSU
Rosewill Tachyon Series 1000W PSU
I would like to thank our friends at Rosewill for sending us the Tachyon-1000 PSU to review – thank you!