Believe it or not, according to The Inquirer's sources Microsoft managed to sell three million Surface and Surface Pro tablets, accounting for 7.5% of sales in the first quarter of 2013. In comparison Apple accounts for a hair under 50% of branded tablet sales, with Android tablets making up the rest of the market. For a company not generally associated with hardware, apart from the Zune, Microsoft has made a definite impact on tablet sales with their new OS and hybrid machines. They do not define the split between Surface and Surface Pro, nor mention how many buyers did not realize the limitations of WinRT, regardless this is good news for Microsoft if not for some of their traditional partners such as ASUS and Acer.
"TABLET UPSTART Microsoft managed to capture 7.5 percent of the global 'branded' tablet market in the first three months of the year."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Fusion-io buys NexGen @ The Register
- Microsoft to unveil new Xbox console on May 21 @ The Register
- Western Digital profits down despite revenue rise @ The Register
- MySQL Founders Reunite To Form SkySQL @ Slashdot
- Another blow for Flash as Unity gaming engine kills support @ The Register
- SECTOR Pilot Master R3273679025 Review @ NikKTech
- Sony NEX-VG30 @ Hardware.info
- Ninjalane Podcast – The Tech of Concerts