Somehow the gang at Hardware.Info made it through 33 different Socket 1150 boards in time for the release date, not just Z87 but also H87, Q87, Q85 and B85 based boards from the five major motherboard suppliers. They also tested 22 different USB 3.0 devices on the boards and saw errors generated in over half of the devices, something you should take note of if you plan to upgrade immediately. The benchmark charts are something to behold, though the performance holds relatively stable on all of the boards showing that once again it is the features which make a board stand out against the competition. There was one measure that separated the boards, power consumption varies greatly between these motherboards, attributable in no small part to the aforementioned features.
"Today Intel introduced the fourth generation of its Core processors, also known as Haswell. The desktop processors in the Haswell generation use a different type of processor socket, called Socket 1150. That means if you want to use one of the new processors, you will have to buy a new motherboard as well. Intel also created a new chipset series, the 8 series or Lynx Point, for desktop motherboards: the Z87, H87, Q87, Q85 and B85. Hardware.Info tested 33 of these new Socket 1150 Haswell motherboards, 26 with the Z87 chipset, four with H87 and three with B85. ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, Intel and MSI participated."
Here are some more Motherboard articles from around the web:
- ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z Motherboard Review @ OCC
- Gigabyte's 8-Series Haswell Motherboard Tour @ AnandTech
- Asus Z87 Maximus VI Extreme @ Kitguru
- Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Motherboard @ Hardware Secrets
- MSI Z87 MPower MAX Motherboard Review @ Benchmark Reviews
- HiTechLegion Z87 Motherboard Round-Up @ HiTech Legion
- Asus Z87 Pro and Asus Z87 Plus @ LanOC Reviews
- MSI Z87-G45 Gaming @ LanOC Reviews
- MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (LGA 1150) @ techPowerUp
- Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC @ Kitguru
- GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87 'Haswell' Motherboard Review @ Legit Reviews
- Asus Z87 Sabertooth @ Kitguru