Need an excuse to give the 'boss' on why you need to buy a new AMD CPU or GPU? Check out The Register for a reason custom made for you; accelerated LibreOffice performance which will help you when working on spreadsheets. AMD will be working with the designers at the (slightly more successful) competitor to OpenOffice to allow the newest versions to be HSA compliant. This is perhaps not a huge win as many people do not work with office documents which will greatly benefit from GPU acceleration but it does serve to show the acceptance the industry has to the HSA as LibreOffice joins applications such as Open C, C++ AMP, Java and Python in supporting HSA features.
"It is great to work on LibreOffice with The Document Foundation to expose the raw power of AMD GPUs and APUs, initially to spreadsheet users," said Manju Hegde, VP of heterogeneous solutions at AMD, in a statement."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- 2013 #NoDRM Summer Sale Finale: Last chance for games up to 85% off! @ Good Old Games
- Boxee Sold To Samsung @ Slashdot
- Intel rumored to plunk $10bn down for Israeli fab expansion @ The Register
- 3.10 Linux Kernel Development Rate @ Linux.com
- ASUS RT-AC66U & PCE-AC66 802.11AC Network Kit Review @ Hardware Canucks