Translated into US currency the new price of WinRT tablets is around $350, putting it on par with the price of an iPad Mini and making it significantly less expensive than a full sized iPad. That might help it meet the expectations of prospective buyers, providing a Windows based iPad alternative with more storage space as opposed to the previous price point which implied that the WinRT based Surface was almost a real laptop in terms of processing power. That price does not include the base with keyboard which is more than a little disappointing for those who might consider a Surface at the new price. The Register and other sites feel that the price drop is indicative of a new model in the works sometime in the near future.
"Probably to make way for a refreshed Surface RT device tipped to be on its way soon, the 32GB Surface RT now costs £120 less than Apple's 16GB iPad with Retina display, with double the storage, and just £10 more than an iPad Mini."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- The TR Podcast 137: The long reach of ARM
- The App Store heads to kindergarten @ The Tech Report
- ARM Steps Into Networking, Running Linux @ Linux.com
- Botch Tuesday: Redmond frags video codec @ The Register
- Microsoft to upset tech floggers: SO SORRY about our broken tools @ The Register
- Desktop Computer System PC Hardware Component Predictions @ Benchmark Reviews
- Valve taps teens for project Pipeline @ The Inquirer
- No sale, Yahoo! Hulu goes off the auction block @ The Register
- Maplin's Velleman K8200 3D printer demo @ The Inquirer
- Ninjalane Podcast – MOA 2013 Semi Finals, De-lidding Haswell and Death of Point and Shoot
- Recharge Your Mobile Device Using Pedal Power with Weekend Projects @ MAKE:Blog
- Win An Anidees AI-6B Mid-Tower Computer Case @ eTeknix
Attatch some Chicago Trucks
Attatch some Chicago Trucks and Cadillac wheels to it, and it may be of some use, but that RT = no sale! And Really, it’s the amount of space that remains after the OS and necessary apps are installed that truely defines useable space! Get a way to load Linux, and lower the price to $150, and you will get some sales! RT rhymes with HP, but the HP OS was nowhere near as useless as the RT!