If you haven't heard the accusations flying over the possible scenarios that lead up to Origin PC dropping AMD cards from all their machines you can catch up at The Tech Report. They keep any speculation to a minimum unlike other sites but the key point is the claims of overheating and stability issues, something that apparently only Origin has encountered. If they had stuck with mentioning the frame pacing in Crossfire and 4K/mulitmonitor issue it would be understandable that they not sell AMD cards in systems designed for that usage but dropping them altogether is enough to start rumours and conspiracy theories across the interwebs. Winning a place in the Steam Machine was great for NVIDIA but at no time did they imply that AMD was unworthy, they merely didn't win the contract.
Today some oil was tossed on the fire with the revelation that NVIDIA is specifically limiting the functionality of its hardware on Linux. Just after we praised their release of documentation for Nouveau, their open sourced driver, we find out from a post at The Inquirer that NVIDIA limits the number of monitors used in Linux to three so as not to outdo their functionality in Windows. For a brief moment it seemed that NVIDIA was willing to cooperate with the open source and Linux communities but apparently that moment is all we will have and once again NVIDIA proves that it is willing bow to pressure from Microsoft.
"According to a forum poster at the Nvidia Developer Zone, the v310 version of the drivers for Basemosaic has reduced the number of monitors a user can connect simultaneously to three."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Cisco, Google and SAP may buy BlackBerry's bits: report @ The Register
- Toshiba unveils 'lightest and thinnest' workstation and a raft of business ultrabooks @ The Inquirer
- Microsoft claims its Surface 2 tablets are 'selling out' without spilling figures @ The Inquirer
- Down with Unicode! Why 16 bits per character is a right pain in the ASCII @ The Register
- NSA using Firefox flaw to snoop on Tor users @ The Register
- LED Costumes and Clothing @ Hack a Day
- Witnessing The League of Legends Season 3 World Championship Finals @ Legit Reviews
- OZONE Gaming Worldwide Joint Giveaway @ NikKTech