Qualcomm is looking to diversify their supply chain and move away from dependence on TSMC and their 28nm node. They have some qualifications for their suitor to meet and being one of the larger customers means that they just might get it. Their requirement is for the rumoured Samsung and GLOBALFOUNDRIES partnership to become stable and for Samsung to use GF as a sub-contractor to make chips for Apple. If you believe all the hints we are getting the partnership could grow and it would give Qualcomm a supplier who is financially stable and still has enough free resources to fab Qualcomm's chips in the desired volume. This is the news out of DigiTimes this morning.
"Qualcomm reportedly hopes Samsung Electronics and Globalfoundries can form an alliance, as the fabless IC vendor seeks to reduce its reliance on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) for its advanced chips, according to industry sources."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Linux backdoor squirts code into SSH to keep its badness buried @ The Register
- Microsoft launches a 3D printing app for Windows 8.1 @ The Inquirer
- 'Planned maintenance' CRIPPLES nearly HALF of all Salesforce instances in Europe, US @ The Register
- 'I'm BIG, I'm BALD and I'm LOUD!' Blubbering Ballmer admits HE was Microsoft's problem @ The Register
- Awesome BlizzCon 2013 CosPlay Pictures By Legit Reviews
- ASUS RT-AC56U Dual Band Wireless-AC1200 Gigabit Router Review @HiTech Legion