Creative geniuses have found another way to combine the Oculus Rift with other hardware to create something new, in this case it is a bird simulator. Strap yourself in to the device and use your arms to flap the wings of your bird body and lean to try your skills at aerial manoeuvring. The Oculus provides your birds eye view of the ground and there is even a fan placed in front of you to give even more immersion. Hack a Day also mentions an olfactory component, it will be interesting to see how that was pulled off.
"Have you ever dreamed of being able to fly like a bird? Sadly, we’re just too heavy with our solid bones and fatty tissues – but now there’s a simulator called Birdly which will give you the experience you crave."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Nordic Necromancers Raise Zombie THQ From Its Grave @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Metro 2033 4-Years Later Review @ OCC
- Battlefield Hardline: On Meaning And Theme In Multiplayer @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Magrunner: Dark Pulse FREE for 24 hours; 30 Bundle Deals, Extra Flash Sales! @ Good Old Games
- The Ultimate Torment Interview Of Ultimate Torment, Pt 1 @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
When I frequently had flying
When I frequently had flying dreams as a kid, this wasn’t quite what I had in mind. But . . . cool?! Maybe, yeah.
Make the setup to control an
Make the setup to control an actual quad-copter with 360 views, and maybe have some fun, but put the apparatus in a full freedom gimbal tied to the quad-copter’s real orientation, and some physics calculations to simulate wings, or other control surfaces. And of course, the necessary vomit proof electrical connections, and such.