The International Data Corporation's latest Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker shows that there were a mere 32.5 million touchscreen monitors shipped in Q2 2014, which accounts for 0.4% of the discrete monitors sold. This may have been a direct influence on the pitiful market penetration of Win 8 in SMB and Enterprise, as the much touted touchscreen support was meaningless to their users interaction with computers. The mobile side is a bit better but not much; DisplaySearch pegs the percentage of laptops with a touchscreen sold in 2013 was about 11% with a predicted 40% share by 2017 which still falls short of representing half of the market. You can pop by The Register for a link to some of the findings.
"Market monitor IDC's latest word on monitors goes some way to explaining limp enthusiasm for Windows 8: people just aren't buying touch-screen monitors.
Windows 8's user interface was designed to work on mouse-driven and poke-enabled devices. It's racked up plenty of sales, but not much love."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- A Li-ion Battery Charging Guide @ Hack a Day
- Understanding and Using Systemd @ Linux.com
- New Video Series Teaches Kids About Linux @ Linux.com
- Michael Dell says Dell might use ARM chips in servers @ The Inquirer
- Asustek, Gigabyte unlikely to achieve motherboard shipment goals for 3Q14 @ DigiTimes
- Cloudflare creates keyless SSL encryption for better security @ The Inquirer
- Lumia rebrand begins: Nokia's new UK web home is Microsoft.com @ The Register
- TSMC confident of keeping global market share of over 80% for 28nm processes in 2015, says CFO @ DigiTimes
- Oracle's Larry Ellison quits as CEO – new bosses are Hurd'n'Catz @ The Register
- 4chan hoax leads idiots to microwave their iPhones @ The Inquirer
- Large-scale malvertising campaign hidden in online ads hits Last.fm @ The Inquirer
- Cryogenic Machining: Custom Rubber Parts @ Hack a Day
- Mio MiVue 568 Touch Dash Cam Review @ NikKTech
- A Tour Of The New Phoronix Office For Linux Benchmarking @ Phoronix
- Nvidia GAME24 event coverage @ Kitguru
- NVIDIA GAME24 Coverage @ OCC
- NikKTech & Tt eSPORTS Worldwide Giveaway
- Tech ARP 2014 Mega Giveaway Contest