Over at Phoronix you can see a comparison between the new Apple OS X 10.10 and the newest release of Ubuntu 14.10. This offers an interesting comparison in performance as both OSes were tested on the same system, a 2013 Macbook Air with a Haswell i5-4250U with onboard HD 5000, 4GB of DDR3-1600MHz and the Apple branded SSD. For content creators and those with no interest in running Windows it highlights the contrasts you can expect between the two operating systems in data transfer and graphics applications. Right from the start you can see that the contest is somewhat one sided, the first benchmark, PostMark, showed the disk with Ubuntu installed performing three times as fast as with OSX. The results get a little closer in some benchmarks but overall Linux outpaces OSX significantly.
"While I delivered some OS X 10.10 Yosemite preview benchmarks back in August, here's my first tests of the official release of Apple OS X 10.10.1 compared to Ubuntu 14.10 Linux. Tests were done of OS X 10.9.5 and OS X 10.10.1 against Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn when running the benchmarks under both GCC and LLVM Clang compilers."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- ARM seeing troubles penetrating into PC, server industries; IoT becomes new battlefield for Intel, ARM @ DigiTimes
- BitTorrent users are 170 percent more likely to download legally than non-torrenters @ The Inquirer
- Researchers Say the Tech Worker Shortage Doesn't Really Exist @ Slashdot
- Regin Malware In EU Attack Linked To US and British Intelligence Agencies @ Slashdot
- You stupid BRICK! PCs running Avast AV can't handle Windows fixes @ The Register
- Bond villains lament as Wicked Lasers withdraw death ray @ The Register