Tech ARP have updated their handy SSD Optimization Guide which covers a variety of ways to ensure that your SSD has a long life and offers you the best possible performance while it works for you. Many of the tips such as enabling AHCI mode in your BIOS before installing an OS are obvious to even an SSD newbie but not everyone will be familiar with their GUID Partition Table or proper partition alignment. The guide is a handy reference for users old and new to make sure that your brand new SSD is performing up to specification.
"Modern SSDs use a mix of techniques and technologies like overprovisioning of memory cells, wear levelling, a write combine buffer (or on-the-fly data compression), and the Trim command or automatic garbage collection to maintain performance and extend the lifespan of the flash memory cells. However, there's only so much they can do."
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- Seagate 1200 SSD 400GB SAS 12Gb/s Review @ NikKTech
- Corsair Voyager Air 2 Mobile Wireless Storage 1 TB Review @ Madshrimps
- QNAP HS-251 Fanless NAS @ techPowerUp
- Silicon Power Armor A60 USB 3.0 Hard Drive Review @HiTech Legion
- Silicon Power Armor A30 USB 3.0 Hard Drive Review @HiTech Legion
- Mach Xtreme MX-ES 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review @ NikKTech
- Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB USB 3.0 @ Kitguru