Features and Motherboard Layout
Courtesy of ECS
- 2-Way multi-graphics solution
- Supports 3 independent displays
- 6 Phase Power Design
- Supports Intel® K Series unlock CPU
- Applied 100% Solid capacitor design to maximize component reliability
- ECS Durathon Technology ensure the stability, reliability and performance of system.
(Triple Density PCB; Extreme Temp Resistance; 1.5K Marathon Test; Superior Solid CAPs)
- ESD Protection prevents computers from electrostatic discharge damage to enhance its durability and lifespan
- ECS EZ charger provides a fast way to charge your smart devices, even if the PC is off
- Supports ECS EZ BIOS for tweaking BIOS in graphical user interface within a multi language environment
- ECS MIB X – A friendly interface for overclocking, especially for gamer
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Certified
- Intel® 22nm 4th generation Multi-Core CPU support
- Intel® 14nm 5th generation Multi-Core CPU support
- Supports DirectX® 11.1 to enhance graphical performance
- Supports NVIDIA® SLI Technology to Intelligently scale graphics performance by combining multiple NVIDIA® graphics
- Supports ATI® CrossFireX™ to expand your system’s graphics capabilities.
- Supports Intel® HD Graphics, InTru™ 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider™
- Supports HDMI 1.4a Technology ( resolution up to 1920X1200 ) and HDCP function
- Supports Sound Blaster Cinema2 technology to deliver cinema-quality picture and sound to home environments
- Supports Intel® Rapid Start technology
- Supports Intel® Smart Response technology
- Free Bundle: Norton Internet Security, CyberLink PowerDVD, CyberLink PowerDirector 9, Muzee, Google Chrome, Magix with trial version
- ECS Intelligent EZ Utility: eBLU, eDLU, eOC, eSFM
ECS designed the Z97-Machine board with gaming appeal, using a black PCB with gold highlights on the heat logos. They have definately put to bed their Golden-series design ethos. There is more than sufficient room around all components, making for easy install and use.
Other than the normal trace lines and solder points, their are no components on the back of the board that will interfere with installation. The area directly behind the CPU socket and cooler mount points is entirely free of sensitive areas, making for a minimal risk backplate use.
ECS integrated the following ports into the Z97-Machine's rear panel: PS/2 keyboard/mouse port, 6 USB 2.0 ports, 4 USB 3.0 ports, an RJ-45 Intel I-218V GigE NIC port, an HDMI video port, a VGA video port, a DVI video port, an optical S/PDIF audio port, and five analogue audio ports.
The Z97-Machine motherboard has a total of five device ports – two PCI-Express x16 slots and three PCI-Express x1 slots. For the PCI-Express x16 slots, the board supports full x16 bandwidth with a single card and x8 bandwidth with cards in the primary and secondary slots. Notice that ECS designed the boards PCI-Express slot layout so with a PCI-Express x1 slot to the right of the primary x16 slot so that an x1 slot remain available. Further, the x16 slots support video cards with up to tri-slot coolers without impeded board function or case fitting. The CMOS battery is located in between the lower parts of the primary and secondary PCIe X16 slots.
In the upper left corner of the board are the S/PDIF input header, the front panel audio header, the voltage measurement points, the 2-digit diagnostic display, and the power and reset buttons. The voltage measurement points can be used to read selected board voltages directly from the PCB using a multi-meter. The diagnostic display can be used to troubleshoot board initialization issues by cross-referencing the code with the table provided at the back of the motherboard manual.
Along the lower left of PCIe x16 slot 2 are the integrated M.2 SSD port, the speaker header, the clear CMOS jumper, the chassis intrusion header, a USB 2.0 header, and a 4-pin system fan header. The M.2 slot supports a PCIe-style M.2 SSD up to 80mm in length.
In the bottom left corner of the board are a 4-pin system fan header, four SATA III ports, and the front panel header.
The Intel Z97 Express chipset cooler is a low profile aluminum heat sink just below the PCIe x16 slots. The heat sink features the ECS L337 Gaming logo.
The board's four integrated DDR3 memory slots are located just below the CPU socket in the lower right quadrant of the board. Dual Channel memory mode is enabled by seating memory modules in slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4 with slots 2 and 4 being the primay slot set. The board supports up to 16GB of memory running at a maximum speed of 3000MHz. Note that memory speeds above 1600MHz are considered overclocked speeds and are outside of the official Intel stock memory speed specifications. Just below the memory slots are the USB 3.0 header, a 4-pin system fan header, and the 24-pin ATX power connector.
ECS designed the Z97-Machine with large CPU coolers in mind. The area surrounding the socket is clear of obstructions on three sides with the 6-phase digital power circuitry located just above the socket. The CPU power components are cooled by a large aluminum heat sink, sporting a L337 Gaming logo.
To the lower right of the CPU socket are the primary and secondary 4-pin CPU fan headers with an additional 4-pin system fan header to the sockets upper left.
The 8-pin ATX12V power connector as well as a 3-pin fan header are located to the upper right of the CPU socket.