In 2008 Gabe Newell contacted a Greek academic economist by the name of Yanis Varoufakis to see if he would be interested in consulting with Valve on how to create a successful shared economy as well as how to balance payments globally and between the real and virtual economies that Valve now has. He agreed and among other things started a Valve Economist blog which you can start reading here and which shows that he did contribute far more than just hats and the dreaded Steam Sale. In what seems at first to be a rather bizarre turnaround in his career Yanis has gone from author, blogger and Valve consultant to being appointed the Finance Minister of his home country of Greece. A closer look at his bona fides provide a good explanation, as he has been focused on how European economies interact since before the beginning of the economic downturns and austerity measures in countries like Greece. Follow the previous links for a look at what he has accomplished or if you prefer, head to Slashdot for more hat jokes.
"A turnover in the Greek government resulted from recent snap elections placing SYRIZA (Coalition of the Radical Left) in power — just shy of an outright majority by two seats. Atheist, and youngest Prime Minister in Greek history since 1865, Alexis Tsipras has been appointed the new prime minister and begun taking immediate drastic steps against the recent austerity laws put in place by prior administrations. One such step has been to appoint Valve's economist Yanis Varoufakis to position of Finance Minister of Greece."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- University’s Virtual Reality Setup Runs on Linux and Open Source Software @ Linux.com
- How to get Cortana working on Windows 10 preview in the UK @ The Inquirer
- Ubisoft Revokes Digital Keys For Games Purchased Via Unauthorised Retailers @ Slashdot
- Linux chaps want to recycle your mobe as a supercomputer @ The Register
- iControl Networks Piper Smart Home Security System Review @ NikKTech
- IBM to cut '118k jobs worldwide' – report claims
- Tech ARP 2015 Mega Giveaway