The VexBox will bring tears to the eyes of parents and children, though only for the parents will they be tears of joy. It is a device being Kickstarted which will connect to your main router and provide a separate connection, both wired and wireless, to the devices you assign to it. You can then throttle the connection when you feel it is needed, all the way down to 56K modem speeds while leaving your connection unaffected. You will need to have a tiny bit more technical savvy than your children, if they can guess your password or the main router password then obviously they can circumvent the VexBox but as long as you can manage to keep a step ahead you can slow your internet down for anyone that isn't living up to your expectations. The KickStarter is here, one of their stretch goals is to be able to limit speeds depending on the URL being accessed so that actual online research can be performed at full speed. You will also need to block or confiscate 4G devices to avoid excess data charges if attempts are made to circumvent the VexBox. Join The Inquirer and "retro enthusiasts and people of a certain age" in bringing this beautiful device to the market.
"You can't shut kids in cupboards under the stairs these days, as it just leads to Harry Potter fantasies. So parents have had to come up with new ways of getting someone to mow the lawn."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- The TR Podcast 169 video: Win10, Elon's musk, and the gimpy GTX 970
- Intel launches 5th-gen Core vPro chips for the wireless office of the future @ The Inquirer
- Embedded Development with ARM mbed on Linux @ The Inquirer
- Boffin finds formula for four-year-five-nines disk arrays @ The Register
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 CPU dumped from flagship smartphone @ The Register
- Linksys WRT1900AC AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router Review @ NikKTech
- [Tech ARP] The Samsung NX1 Masterclass Event by Yaman Ibrahim