The unofficial BB-8 toys that makers have been building were based off of the Sphero toy but as it turns out the officially released one is not. As it turns out it was a team from Creature Animatronics who created the toy for Disney, a team recently talked about because of their large sized hexapod robot. If you haven't picked one up yet you have at least heard about it in your travels on the net today and as it turns out we do not know all the tricks it will be capable of yet. According to Disney they will release more features for the app that interfaces with the robot as the release of The Force Awakens gets closer. Check out the links at Hack a Day for more information.
"As it turns out, it was actually built in Pinewood by the Creature Animatronics (CFX) team which includes [Matt Denton] — He’s the guy who built the Mantis Robot. A hacker / engineer — not a big toy company."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- BlackBerry gobbles up former sparring partner Good Technology for $425m @ The Inquirer
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 820: More specs revealed along with early benchmark score @ The Inquirer
- Windows 10 grabbed about five per cent market share in August @ The Register
- Samsung’s consumer IoT vision – stupid, desperate, creepy @ The Register
- 128TB SSD by 2018? Toshiba promises much, delivers … a little @ The Register
- Google Updates: Custom Tabs, no more Drive websites, and something about logos @ The Inquirer
- IBM and ARM team up for IoT infrastructure alliance @ The Inquirer
- Damn well knew it! Seagate has helium drives in its labs @ The Register
- Windows admin added to Puppet Enterprise @ The Register
- Security SOHOpeless: Belkin router redirection zero-day @ The Register
- Philips Hue Lighting Review @ Hardware Secrets