There have been quite a few rumours surrounding AMD's next chip refresh, the Zen architecture. DigiTimes is adding to that with a story today which places the release date sometime at the end of 2016, at the earliest. Their sources suggest an issue with GLOBALFOUNDRIES 14nm FinFET process which is delaying the release and which is very bad news for AMD. The claimed 40% improvement over current generation processors is not going to mean as much in a year or more and with AMD's current financial situation releasing a new CPU for people to buy is something that needs to happen. Let us hope that the delay is exaggerated or that something happens to resolve the production issues in the coming months.
"AMD's next-generation Zen architecture is expected to arrive in the fourth quarter of 2016 at the earliest, but sources from motherboard players are concerned that the late arrival of the new platform may put AMD in a rather difficult competitive position."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Google Updates: Because you're sick of hearing about Apple @ The Inquirer
- Apple iPhone 6S: Same phone, another day, but TOTALLY DIFFERENT @ The Register
- Plug In an Ethernet Cable, Take Your Datacenter Offline @ Slashdot
- Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' @ The Inquirer
- Well, what d'you know: Raising e-book prices doesn't raise sales @ The Register
- Tech ARP 2015 Mega Giveaway #6 : WD My Passport