We already saw an announcement from ASUS (at IFA 2015) for their water-cooled Republic of Gamers GX700 gaming laptop, and now we have more details about this unique product, though some are still pending. The specifications (including the full version of the NVIDIA GTX 980) would make a great gaming desktop system, and that's kind of the idea as the performance increases substantially when the laptop is docked in its liquid-cooling base.
There are certainly questions about this concept that won't be answered until hardware in hand, but it's going to be interesting to see just how well a liquid cooling system will work in a dockable format like this.
Here are the specifications we know so far:
- CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK
- GPU: GeForce GTX 980, 8GB GDDR5
- Display: 17.3-inch IPS FHD (1920×1080) G-SYNC / Optional 4K/UHD G-SYNC
- RAM: Up to 64GB DDR4
- Storage: Up to 1TB PCIe x4 SSD (2 x 512GB)
- Optical: Blu-ray 6x RW
- Card reader: SDXC
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0
- Keyboard: Anti-ghosting keyboard with 30-key rollover; 2.5mm travel; Illuminated
- 3 x USB 3.0
- 1 x USB Type-C / Thunderbolt 3
- 1 x USB Type-C / USB 3.1
- 1 x mini-DisplayPort
- 1 x HDMI
- Audio: 1x Headphone/mini-Optical S/PDIF, 1x Microphone input
- Webcam: 1.2MP HD camera
A look inside at the GX700 cooling system
Exact numbers on battery capacity, dimensions, and weight are not yet available, and pricing and availability have yet to be announced.