Final Thoughts and Conclusions
Thermaltake continues to expand their digital power supply lineup with the introduction of the new Toughpower DPS G Series. The DPS G Series supports Thermaltake’s comprehensive suite of Smart Power Management software, which can be used by enthusiasts and IT professionals to monitor, record and analyze data locally and/or remotely (PC, laptop or mobile devices). The SPM software also permits sending warning alerts, charting numerous PC and PSU parameters, and generating reports.
During our testing the Toughpower DPS G 850W produced very good voltage regulation (±2% on the primary outputs) and kept AC ripple and noise under control even at full load. The power supply met the 80 Plus Gold criteria for efficiency although it struggled while operating at 100% load and operating on 115 VAC and at elevated temperatures (40°C). The power supply is fully modular and uses all flat ribbon-style cables. Noticeably missing though was a second +12V EPS cable connector, which in our opinion should be provided at this power level and price point. While the overall performance is good, the new Toughpower DPS G Series isn’t outstanding. Thermaltake appears to be using a different OEM to build the Toughpower DPS G Series power supplies than they used for the Toughpower DPS 750W/850W/1050W power supplies, which is probably why you might see a difference in performance.
Overall, the new Toughpower DPS G 850W proved to be a good power supply and supports Thermaltake’s new suite of Smart Power Management software. The SPM software with its great versatility and many features will most likely be the big draw to Thermaltake’s new Toughpower DPS G Series line of power supplies.
The MSRP for the new Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 850W PSU is $199.99 but you can find it at newegg.com for $154.99 (October 2015).
• 850 watts DC output (up to 50°C)
• Incorporates a digital processor to communicate with monitoring software
• Supports Thermaltake’s Smart Power Management software
• 7-Year Warranty from Thermaltake
• Available in six models ranging from 450W up to 1050W output
• 80 PLUS Gold certified, with at least 90% efficiency at 50% load
• Very good voltage regulation (±2%)
• Fully modular cables for easy installation and to improve airflow
• Supports multiple graphic adapters with six 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors
• High quality all Japanese electrolytic capacitors rated at 105°C
• ErP Lot and Intel Haswell ready
• Active Power Factor correction (0.99) with Universal AC input
• Safety Protections : OVP, UVP, SCP, and OPP
• Only one +12V EPS cable/connector included
• Struggled to meet 80 Plus Gold efficiency rating at 115 VAC at elevated temp
Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 850W Power Supply
Our thanks to Thermaltake for sending us the Toughpower DPS G 850W PSU to review!