Before looking at this particular Maximus board, make sure you have checked out Morry's review of the Silver Award winning Maximus VIII Gene as it is well worth the read. If you find that a mATX board is simply too big for you then you could consider the ASUS Maximus VIII Impact, a mini-ITX board with a fair spread of features. You are limited to a single x16 PCIe slot but that leaves plenty of channels for 6 USB 3.0, two 3.1 ports of which one is a Type-C connector, four SATA 6GBps ports and U.2 as well. This board also features the SupremeFX audio found on the Gene, albeit in a slightly different form and adds dual channel WiFi support as well. [H]ard|OCP were very impressed with Impact, check out the many reasons why it picked up their top awards here.
"Let’s face it, most sequels are never as good as the original films. When it comes to motherboards the opposite usually rings true. ASUS’ Republic of Gamers brand has had several iterations of the mini-ITX Maximus Impact, today we have version VIII. Hopefully ASUS continues its track record of great sequels."
Here are some more Motherboard articles from around the web:
- Gigabyte's Z170X-Gaming G1 @ The Tech Report
- Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH @ eTeknix
- MSI B150M Mortar Review @ OCC
- GIGABYTE Z170-HD3 Review; DDR3 & Skylake @ Hardware Canucks
- Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 @ Modders-Inc
- FIRST LOOK Gigabyte H170N-WIFI Motherboard @ Hardware Secrets
- Gigabyte GA-H110M-A: A Sub-$60 Intel Skylake Motherboard @ Phoronix