Linksys has announced availability of a new MU-MIMO wireless router, and the EA7500 features 3×3 802.11ac Wi-Fi along with 4x Gigabit LAN ports.
“The Linksys MAX-STREAM AC1900 features MU-MIMO, the latest advance toward uninterrupted, simultaneous Wi-Fi connections. Devices such as HD streaming media players, 4K TVs, tablets, and game consoles use a lot of bandwidth. But with MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) technology, the MAX-STREAM AC1900 sends advanced Wi-Fi to multiple devices at the same time and same speed. Your whole family can play, stream, and work at once, without experiencing lag or buffering – at up to 2x the speed of a non-MU-MIMO router.”
The specs include:
- Wi-Fi Technology: AC1900 MU-MIMO Dual-band Gigabit, 600+1300 Mbps
- Wi-Fi Speed: AC1900 (N600 + AC1300)
- Wi-Fi Bands: 2.4 and 5 GHz (simultaneous dual band)
- Power Antennas: 3x external, dual-band, detachable antennas
- Operation Modes: Wireless Router, Access Point, Wired Bridge, Wireless Bridge
- Processor: 1.4 GHz dual-core
- Number of Ethernet Ports: 4x Gigabit LAN ports, 1x Gigabit WAN port
- Other Ports: 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 port
- Storage File System Support: FAT, NTFS, HFS+
Retail pricing is $199.99, placing it $50 below the larger 4×4 MU-MIMO EA8500 router ($249.99). If you’re looking to upgrade your router to take advantage of MU-MIMO technology (the benefits of which we covered in our review of the Killer Wireless-AC 1535), this EA7500 provides a new, more affordable option.
Full press release after the break.
Playa Vista, Calif. – February 18, 2016 – Linksys®, the first to sell 100 million routers globally and a leader in networking solutions for the home and business, today announced the availability of its Linksys Max-Stream™ AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router (EA7500). The new Linksys AC1900 MU-MIMO router leverages the 802.11ac Wave 2 MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple Input, Multiple Output) technology, which helps ensure uninterrupted Wi-Fi connectivity to multiple devices in the home and functions as if multiple devices have their own dedicated router. With MU-MIMO, the whole household can enjoy 4K and HD TV streaming to multiple devices as well as play video games, listen to music, check email, shop, and more – all at the same time.
Perfect for families with multiple users with their own streaming devices, the Max-Stream AC1900 leverages MU-MIMO functionality which helps make Wi-Fi networks more efficient when delivering high bandwidth 4K streams to multiple devices at the same time. Market research firm DisplaySearch/IHS recently reported shipments of 4K Ultra HDTVs reached 6 million in North America in 2015 and forecasts to double to 12 Million in 2016.
“If you have or are planning to purchase a 4K TV you will need a Max-Stream router to ensure you have a seamless 4K online streaming experience,” said Justin Doucette, director product management, Linksys. “A single stream of 4K content takes a minimum of 20 Mbps to maintain a consistent stream, and when you combine that with multiple streams plus normal Wi-Fi use from gaming, internet surfing, IoT connectivity and music streaming, it adds up fast. Max-Stream will enable multiple streams of Wi-Fi to occur so users can have the ultimate 4K and networking experience.”
The Next-Gen Max-Stream AC1900 can provide users with combined speeds up to 1.9 Gbps* and the range they need to connect all their devices in the home and at the same time. Also included is Smart Wi-Fi technology which makes it easy to set up and control your home Wi-Fi from anywhere using the Smart Wi-Fi app on your mobile device.
The EA7500 features:
- Next-Gen AC Wi-Fi – 802.11ac Wave 2 with MU-MIMO Technology for uninterrupted Wi-Fi connections to multiple devices at the same time
- Qualcomm IPQ 1.4GHz Dual Core Processor
- Dual-band AC1900 Wireless speeds up to 1300 Mbps 5 GHz + 600 Mbps 2.4GHz, which is a combined speed up to 1.9 Gbps*
- Four Gigabit LAN Ethernet ports One Gigabit WAN for wired speeds up to 10x faster than fast Ethernet
- One USB 3.0 and One USB 2.0 ports for connecting printers, storage and more
- Three external and adjustable antennas for maximum coverage
- Manage and monitor your network and easily control Wi-Fi devices remotely on a smart phone with the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app
- Advanced WPA/WPA2 encryption and SPI firewall helps keep the network safe
- The Linksys AC1900 MU-MIMO router will help address buffering issues customers are having today and into the future with 4K content. Check out the MU-MIMO video on the Linksys product page found here.
Pricing and Availability
The Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router (EA7500) is immediately available at leading retail and online retailers including Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, Micro Center Newegg and RadioShack at an MSRP of $199.99.
The Linksys brand has pioneered wireless connectivity since its inception in 1988 with its leading innovation and engineering strategies, and best-in-class technology, design, and customer service. Linksys enables a connected lifestyle for people at home, at work and on the move, and with its award-winning products, simplifies home control, entertainment, security and Internet access through innovative features and a growing application and partner ecosystem. Linksys is part of Belkin International. For more information, visit linksys.com, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or watch us on YouTube.
# # #
* The standard transmission rates—1300 Mbps (for 5 GHz) and 600 Mbps (for 2.4 GHz)—are the physical data rates. Actual data throughput will be lower and may depend on the mix of wireless products used and external factors.
Specifications are subject to change without notice. Actual performance may vary, and might result in lower wireless network capacity, data throughput rate, range, and coverage. Performance depends upon many factors, conditions and variables, including distance from the access point, volume of network traffic, environment building materials and construction, operating system used, mix of wireless products used, interference, and other adverse conditions. An active, customer-purchased Internet Service Provider broadband account is required for connection of this router and other connected computers and devices to the Internet. Maximum performance for wireless products derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications. An 802.11ac adapter may be needed to achieve 11ac data rates. To achieve maximum performance, routers must be paired with coordinating adapters/and or computers in both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz band such that the maximum performance can be maximized for each GHz band.