DX12 is very new and with these two games utilizing it, Hitman 2016 and Ashes of the Singularity, it is difficult to get a good sample of results to see exactly what the new API will offer. [H]ard|OCP have been working with both of these games to determine the performance differences between DX11 and DX12 and to find where the bottlenecks, if any, are. With Ashes they tried limiting the CPU, one set of tests at 1.2GHz and the second at 4.5GHz which showed how well DX12 lived up to the touted benefits of reduced CPU usage. They also tested with older GPUs on a 4.5GHz CPU to see if the new API does indeed help out older GPUs. They also delve somewhat into the confusion surrounding AMD's Asynchronous ace in the hole.
For Hitman they contrasted various GPUs from both AMD and NVIDIA while leaving the CPU alone for the testing. This review emphasizes the performance delta between DX11 and DX12 on the same GPUs, and unfortunately also addresses some stability issues which DX12 has brought with it. Read through the review to see what results they gathered so far but do not consider this the final word since both NVIDIA and AMD's GPUs could barely manage 10 minutes of DX12 gaming before completely locking up.
We still have a lot more investigation to perform before we can define the strengths and weaknesses of DX12.
"Hitman (2016) supports the new DirectX 12 API. We will take this game and find out if DX12 is faster than DX11 and what it may offer in this game and if it allows a better gameplay experience. We will also compare Himan performance between several video cards to find what is playable and how AMD vs. NV GPUs compare."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Battlezone 98 Redux Brings Back FPS-RTS Fun @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Total Warcraft: Hammers Offers Zone News, I Think @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Ashes of the Singularity Review @ OCC
- XCOM Beyond Earth: Shock Tactics @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Mafia III will be released on 7th October on PC, PS4 and Xbox One @ HEXUS
- Ratchet & Clank @ Polygon
- Vroomshakalaka! Rocket League Hoops Mode Next Week @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Quick Look: Banner Saga 2 @ Giant Bomb