After committing the double sin of pimping preorders and Day 1 DLC announced before the release date, The Creative Assembly seems to be trying to win back some of their fans by offering free new content for all some time down the road. There will be new Legendary Lords, magic items, quest chains, and units and towards the end of the year. If you want to play as Chaos you will still have to preorder the game or pay for it after release.
The offer of free content is appreciated, apart from one small problem; the game's release date is still over a month away. The offer of future free content seems to be a thinly veiled effort to increase the sales of preorders, since many of us have refused to take them up on their offer. Hopefully this is a hint that the industry is beginning to realize that publishing the actual game in full will draw more customers than releasing a partial game with DLC already planned.
Iceberg Interactive has a much better model, Endless Legends was released as planned and once they realized how popular the game was they put effort into adding entirely new features and races. Instead of taunting their customers with DLC announced at the same time as they released the game, they have treated it more as a reward for customer loyalty. Then again, perhaps their customers are the exception and The Creative Assembly's announcement will succeed in selling more copies of the game before the release date.
"Now, developers The Creative Assembly have released details of their post-release plans and that includes loads of free add-ons. There will be new Lords with their own quest chains, items and campaign bonuses, new magic, and, most intriguing of all, an entire new playable race."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Endless Legend Launches New Expansion, Holds Sale @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Death, Despair And Lovely Cutscenes: The Banner Saga 2 @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Titanfall 2 teaser trailer published by Respawn Entertainment @ HEXUS
- Hitman Review @ OCC
- Burly Men At Sea Offers Hyperstylised Folktales @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture arrives on PC/Steam tomorrow @ HEXUS
- Wot I Think: Baldur’s Gate: Siege Of Dragonspear @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Dark Souls 3 review @ Polygon