The Inquirer put together a list of topics that received little to no coverage during the Google I/O keynote, though why Daydream VR was included is hard to say as it was all over the news yesterday. The Google Play store coming to Chromebooks and Android Pay arriving in the UK were also services we knew about but which did not get a mention. On the other hand, Google's Tensor Processing Unit really should have received more emphasis as it is rather impressive. If AMD, NVIDIA and Intel were hoping to get a contract from Google to power the next generation of Deep Dream or Google Assistant then they are out of luck. Take a peek at the other topics The Inq wanted to hear more about here.
"As such, here's the INQ top 10 announcements that got bumped from the I/O keynote to a footnote or out of the main speech altogether."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Google Chrome deletes Backspace @ The Register
- World goes SIM-free, leaving Sony and HTC trailing behind @ The Register
- It’s Time For Direct Metal 3D-Printing @ Hack a Day
- Android Lollipop sucks at security, says researcher @ The Register
- Another reason to hate videoconferences: lousy software security @ The Register
- TSST has stopped manufacturing optical drives @ Kitguru
- ARM buys IoT's camera crew, Eyes of Things biz Apical @ The Register
- Snow Software weighs in as readers continue to slam vendors for licensing problems @ The Inquirer
- Google patents sticky tech to prevent self-driving cars squashing pedestrians @ The Register
- Asus PL-N12 WiFi HomePlug AV500 Powerline Adapter Kit @ Kitguru
The Tensor Processing Unit is
The Tensor Processing Unit is definitely not a GPU, it’s a quick and dirty ASIC design (8 bit INT/other) design mostly for matching things/patterns quick and dirty like for Google’s ad pushing needs! I will have to work harder now just trying to fight back with Google’s sponsored/weighted search algorithms getting between me and the information that I really want and Google’s ad sponsors search engine gaming endlessly trying to keep we off target and looking at what the shill sites want me to see!
Any productive researching on subject matter for anything using Google’s “Search engine” has become totally supplanted by the need for Google’s/Shill website’s need to get in the way! FFS Google cut the crap, it’s a WWF wrestling no holds bared title match just to do some simple search engine research with all the false and misleading search results on Google’s shill engine!
This was a weird one, first
This was a weird one, first io not in moscone first without a shed load of swag at the keynote first without product launch (okay android n alpha to beta but nothing really new). If Google are trying to take this back and make it a dev conference they’re going about it well. The next web bitching about lack of cooling off areas will only encourage active devs to attend rather than press. Plenty was announced and shown but in small bites from the people involved rather than Sundar showing the greatest hits.
Google has turned into a
Google has turned into a parody of itself. They literally chase every new trend now!