IDC is predicting a drop in PC sales this year and put the majority of the blame on Microsoft and it's new OS. The free upgrade has not driven PC sales higher as HP and others predicted in either the consumer or business market segments. That is not the whole picture of course, as there are also economic factors involved as exemplified by a similar drop in sales of phones and tablets. You can follow the link from The Inquirer for a more indepth look at this drop and the causes for it from IDC and Gartner.
"That's according to forecasts by analyst outfit IDC, which claims that PC shipments will fall by 7.3 per cent year on year, around with growth in the market now forecast at two per cent below its earlier predictions for 2016."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Chrome's PDF reader has arbitrary code execution flaw @ The Register
- Microsoft has created its own FreeBSD image. Repeat. Microsoft has created its own FreeBSD image @ The Register
- Google IMAP losing old security protocols this month @ The Register
- How to Stream Audio from Your Linux PC to Android @ Linux.com
- Sony Confirms It's Making a 'High-End PlayStation 4' With 4K and Richer Graphics @ Slashdot
- 3D Internal Structure For Better 3D Printed Objects @ Hack a Day